Effective water damage prevention is always preferable to dealing with the potential negative consequences after it happens. In 2021, the average cost of residential water damage incidents ranged from $3,000 up to $5,000. Worse-than-average cases impose even greater expense, not to mention substantial household disruption.
While not all water damage incidents are predictable and preventable, many can be averted before expense and inconvenience strike.
- Plumbing leaks. even small leaks or seepage from pipes can be warning signs of an impending pipe rupture. An indoor supply pipe with only a 1/8-inch crack can flood the house with hundreds of gallons of water in only a few hours.
- Appliance issues. Rubber water supply hoses connected to washing machines may rupture suddenly due to age. Chronic leakage from dishwashers into the enclosed space beneath the unit—a dark zone not frequently inspected—can severely rot the floor structure and trigger mold growth.
- Roof damage. Rainfall on a leaky roof can cause long-term attic water damage, including ruined insulation, rotting wood structure, and leakage through ceilings. Wet attics also support toxic mold contamination that may spread.
- Outdoor flooding. If ground adjacent to the house slopes toward the foundation, water damage in the basement or crawl space may occur during heavy rain. Basement water damage may also result from infiltration of groundwater beneath the basement floor.
Effective prevention of common water damage events includes:
- Prompt attention to resolve the plumbing leaks and seepage.
- Ensure that water-connected appliances have secure supply and drain lines and are regularly maintained.
- Get annual roof inspections by a professional.
- Grade landscape to divert pooling water away from the house.
- Install a basement sump pump to remove rising groundwater.
Advanced Restoration Methods
Water damage restoration specialists are trained, certified professionals with the expertise and resources to restore all types of damage caused by water.
- High-volume extractors remove a large volume of water in a very short time.
- Powerful dehumidifiers and air movers reduce damaging indoor humidity and eliminate residual moisture rapidly.
- Utilizing moisture detection technology, water that has seeped deep into the structure can be located and removed.
- Water-damaged building materials like drywall, flooring, and certain wooden structural components may require removal and replacement if not dried quickly.
- Because mold growth frequently accompanies water damage, air sampling is used to track and identify contamination, followed by removal of all active mold growth and sterilization of affected surfaces.