Did you know the United States will experience nearly 380,000 house fires each and every year? Some of these fires will result in little damage, but others will call for the best fire damageHutto TX Water RestorationHutto TX has to offer. Either way, DriRite is here to help you!
Having to experience a fire inside the home is one of the worst nightmares for any homeowner. It’s a stressful event that can traumatize your family and damage your valuable belongings.
Knowing how to prevent and handle these situations is essential to keeping your family safe.
Below, we’re going to discuss five of the most common reasons fire damage in Hutto TX Hutto Texas occurs every year — including cooking in the kitchen, faulty wiring, heaters, smoking, and lighting. We’ll also go over ways you can better prevent this from happening in the future.
Let’s get started!
5 of the Most Common Causes of Fire Damage in the Home in Hutto TX
1. Cooking in the Kitchen
When it comes to house fires, nothing is more common than a kitchen fire. It accounts for almost half of all the house fires in the United States and is one of the most dangerous types of house fires. There’s no telling just how bad the damage will get because it can spread in a matter of seconds.
In order to prevent a fire while cooking in the kitchen, it’s crucial to pay attention to what you’re doing. Don’t leave the room and avoid multitasking when cooking. Instead, stay focused on the task at hand and confirm you understand the cooking directions before starting.
You should also considerHutto TX flood cleaningyour appliances and cooking utensils frequently to limit the risk of a fire.
2. Faulty Wiring & Other Electrical Issues
You might not think of it often because you get to stare at walls all day, but behind those walls are pipes and wires. If installed correctly, these pipes and wires won’t cause many issues for a while. Over time, unfortunately, those pipes and wires wear down and can increase the risk of a house fire.
Spotting signs of faulty wiring in the home can save yourself from disaster. Some of the most common signs are dimming of the lights when another light is turned on or off, frequent blown fuses, discoloration of outlets, and exposed wiring where it shouldn’t be.
Call a professional the moment you notice something wrong with your home to avoid anything getting worse.
3. Heaters & Burning Candles
We add a lot of features to our home and while they often add to the experience, they also increase the risk of a house fire. Two of those things are heaters and candles, which can both lead to disaster if left unattended.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, a majority of candle fires happen in the bedroom. As you can likely imagine, it’s easy to fall asleep with a lit candle in your room. Unfortunately, not blowing it out before falling asleep is one of the biggest mistakes a homeowner can make — especially if you have pets.
Heaters — and even fireplaces — can add to the risk by causing other items in the house to catch on fire.
4. Smoking in the Home
Believe it or not, people still smoke inside the home. In fact, smoking inside the home has become much more popular recently with the rise of recreational smoking and has caused homeowners to become a little more lenient about what happens inside the home.
Of course, smoking requires a flame and flames can potentially spread. If you’re going to smoke inside the home, make sure you put out the butt of your cigarette and keep flames away from anything flammable. If you truly want to limit the risk of fire damage in Hutto TX Hutto Texas, avoid smoking in the home at all times.
The final common cause of fire damage Hutto TX residents are prone to is issues with their lighting. There are two major reasons a light will start a fire — either due to a faulty set up (wiring) or a lamp that gets knocked over onto something flammable.
To prevent this, always make sure your light bulbs are compliant with the fixture it’s being utilized with. It’s also good practice to leave lights off when not present in the home or asleep. This allows you to feel confident when not at home.
Since a house fire can cause an enormous amount of emotional, physical, and financial stress on a family, preventing them at all costs is a homeowner’s primary responsibility. In the event you experience fire damage and need help with the cleanup or restoration, contact DriRite today.
We have a team of professionals ready to assist you and your family. We’re dedicated to helping you restore your home after fire damage, or even if you’re looking for water damageHutto TX Water Restorationin Hutto TX. We can’t wait to serve you!